Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

I already hold a pilot certificate issued by RA-Aus. How do I obtain and RPL?

 A pilot certificate is equivalent to an RPL. To get your RPL you need to complete an application form, and follow the instructions on the form to provide evidence of your pilot certificate, submit a recent photograph and provide appropriate proof of your identity. You also need to undertake a flight review before you can use your licence.

Your new licence grants the relevant category rating, aircraft class rating and design feature endorsements. You are also granted a recreational navigation endorsement if your pilot certificate authorises you to conduct cross-country flights and if you meet minimum flight times.

Flight review requirement for RPL transition pilots

Whether you are obtaining your RPL based on converting an RA-Aus pilot certificate or transitioning from an SPL plus GFPT, you need to complete a class rating flight review for the aircraft you wish to fly. The flight review should cover basic aircraft operations as well as the underpinning knowledge of the additional RPL responsibilities. Topics include the aircraft maintenance certificate, pre-flight preparations, flight planning, fuel management, managing passengers and other critical aspects of operating an aircraft as pilot in command unsupervised. Details of the flight review are prescribed in the Part 61 Manual of Standards.

For more information please click here

What are the entry requirements for Diploma Courses?

Applicants for Diploma courses must submit an application form to attend a Pre enrolment skill & knowledge assessment and  interview to assess academic suitability. Applicants for AVI50222 Diploma of Aviation (Commercial Pilot Licence – Aeroplane) & AVI50519 Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating) shall also be assessed in the Flight Simulator. Applicants for the AVI50419 Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instructor)  shall be required to  undertake a short assessment Aircraft Flight at their own expense to ensure that their flying is of a standard suitable for the demands of the training they will be undertaking.

All enrolled students must have, or obtain, an Aviation Reference Number, an Aviation Security Identity Card, and a current Class 1 Aviation Medical. (At student’s own expense)

Students enrolling in the AVI50519 Diploma of Aviation (Instrument Rating) must have a current PPL or CPL, and AVI50419  Diploma of Aviation (Flight Instructor) students must have a current CPL.

Any student intending to apply for recognition of prior learning must do so at the application stage.